[TriLUG] Dorm Networking

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Mon Jun 30 11:53:06 EDT 2003

Howdy everyone!

My roommate and I here at Governor's School East have but one phone line
to share for the Internet connection.  My computer remains hooked up,
and I let him use it to check email and stuff.  But I'd like to get him
networked to where he can access the Internet from his computer.

We're connected by a crossover cable.  I'm running Linux, he has WinXP
(although I've almost got him convinced to make the switch.)  Our
computers are talking and on friendly terms... we play Unreal Tournament
a lot in the free times of the day.  But for some reason, I just can't
forward him the internet connection.  Here's what I've tried:

(My computer, running Linux, connected to the internet over ppp0 is at
192.168.0.10.  His computer, running WinXP and soon Linux, is at
192.168.0.11.)

# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.11 -j MASQUERADE
# iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.0.11 -j ACCEPT
# iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.0.11 -j ACCEPT
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Note...  I really don't know much about iptables, but I use this basic
snippet to forward my iPAQ's packets, and figured it would work with our
situation here.

The problem, however, is that he still can't ping outside the network.
Tried IP addresses so it's not just a problem with name resolution or
anything.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

--