[TriLUG] OT: more than _MTA_

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Mon Jun 30 16:16:18 EDT 2003

--On Friday, June 27, 2003 11:20:46 AM -0400 Lee <elfick at trilug.org> wrote:

> Magnus wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Lee wrote:
>>
>>> You're saying you can't read directly from the spool?
>>

>> You could if you were using an MUA that had filesystem level access to
>> the spool.
>>
>> Most don't.
>
> But some do, most notably mutt. And we only need 1 to make my point
> pertinent. :-)

I was out Friday and just got done playing catch up...  your point isn't
really pertinent to this discussion.  Yes, sendmail can deliver to the
spool, and, yes, Mutt can read directly from the spool, as long as Mutt is
being run on the machine that contains that spool file.

So, if you have a machine with just sendmail, and every one of your mails
users has an shell account on that machine then you can deliver and read
mail with just sendmail.  But if you want to have a mail server that allows
clients to connect over the network to read their mail (without being
logged into a shell account on the server), just like the Exchange/Outlook
combination does... then you need more than sendmail on the server to do it.

Deceased horse has been beaten sufficently, no?

--
Daniel Monjar