[TriLUG] DSL opinions

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.homeip.net
Wed Jul 2 10:34:22 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Josh Blomberg):"

> dont know if anyone here is aware ( or cares ), but duke is killing their
> dsl offering and im being forced to find new service.

That means my brother is going to have to change too.

> my home is serviced by verizon so it seems that i have three options for
> continuing with dsl that im looking at.
>
> britsys ( 1.5 down / 128 up with a static IP ) for 60$ or
> intrex ( 1.5 down / 128 up with dynamic ip ) for 55$ or
> verizon online ( 1.5 down /128 up with dynamic ip ) for 34.95$
>
> anyone have any recomedations or horror stories about any of these
> companies? any other providers that im not aware of? any experiences
> or insight that you could share would be very helpful.

I was using the Duke offering up until Apr 2000, and then switched over
to Verizon.  At that poin they were offering "frame relay" with pure
DHCP (not PPPoE) which yeilds a mostly static IP.  I've only had two
outages since, one for most of one day, and one for about 2 hours
(non-primetime).

You'll have to have a few days downtime while switching over, but VZ is
good service and has a very good internal news server.  Feel free to ask
for more details if you need them.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U