[TriLUG] Naming conventions for hard drives

nroskam@rr.nc.com nroskam at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 12:25:36 EDT 2003

I am trying to get my hard drive working under a promise 20376 ide raid
controller.  At the moment I am not even trying to do raid.  I have
installed the driver from promise.  My problem seems to be grub.  I keep
getting a message that the root file system cannot be loaded.  I have
tried several different naming conventions.

Root=/dev/sda (sda0,1,hda,hda0,hda1,md,md0,md1,d0)

Is there another naming convention I should try?  The md gave superblock
errors and bad bread.

Rock Roskam
Portable Pro LLC
(919) 845-7407