[TriLUG] booting Mandrake with reiserfs

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Fri Jul 4 11:08:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 20:09, zzd wrote:
> On Thursday July 03 2003 02:24 pm, Owen Berry wrote:
> > >
> > > I assume you're using a Mandrake-provided kernel. Have you checked
> > > for errata RE: reiser? I know there have been a few critical ones
> > > pushed into vanilla 2.4.22-pre...
> > >
> > > -Dan
> >
> > I'm using reiserfs on Mandrake 9.1. Worked out of the box, as it did
> > on 9.0.
> >
> > /dev/hda5 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
> >
> > - Owen
>

> I am installing from the 9.1 discs using a the kernal images they
> contain.
> When configuring lilo, do I need to add the above "rw,noatime,notail",
> do I also need to add type=reiserfs?
>
> I am no lilo expert, so any help here would be appreciated.

I'm no expert either, but I can let you know what I do know. The
settings for file systems are contained in /etc/fstab. Here's my
settings for / :

/dev/hda5 / reiserfs notail,noatime 1 1

Here are some details from my /etc/lilo.conf in case it'll help:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
vga=788
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="linux"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount acpi=off"
        read-only

Note that I haven't customised any of this by hand, it should pretty
much be what was installed originally. Good luck.

- Owen