[TriLUG] OT: Linux/UNIX book recommendations needed

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 14:29:15 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Greg Brown wrote:

> A good friend of mine landed a job down in CLT and he has to learn
> about system administration of all things command line.  Not only does
> he need to know administration he needs to learn about the general
> workings and operations of:
>
> UNIX (AIX, Solaris, and maybe HP-UX)
> Linux (not sure which distro, probably RH)
> BSD (unsure of which distro, probably FreeBSD)

> what books do you recommend?

I find the UNIX Unleashed book by Ray & Ray from Sams Publishing to be
pretty good: detailed, comprehensive, lots of example and minimal waste
of my time and dead trees. O'Reilly books are almost always good quality,
but I figured everyone else will mention O'Reilly, as you already did.

best,
Steve Burnett
badger at trilug