[TriLUG] OSS exchange replacement

Lee elfick at trilug.org
Thu Jul 10 18:02:12 EDT 2003

Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 10:22, Lee wrote:
>
>>Found on /. :
>>http://slashdot.org/articles/03/07/10/1240242.shtml?tid=185
>>
>>The site, www.opengroupware.org, is heavily /.ed right now though.
>>
>>-Lee
>

> This is not a drop-and-insert for exchange (like the SUSE exchange
> server).  This server has similar elements but looks a bit like a kludge
> solution.  It requires a proprietary (not free) "connector" software in
> order for the email clients to access the server.
>
> If you go with this type of solution, then you end-up paying a per
> client price for each connection - as opposed to SUSE's up-front
> purchase and then no client licenses.
>
> Jon

Only the Outlook (which is what I assume you are focussing on) and
Evolution clients require a connector. Mozilla (and I believe apple's
mail.app or whatever they have) do not require a connector but currently
isn't at the level of Outlook and Evolution. However, it seems like that
may be a decent direction (mozilla) to investigate for the future.

-Lee