[TriLUG] OSS exchange replacement

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Jul 11 09:39:08 EDT 2003

I am truly sorry to report this, but it is relevant.

I have had the opportunity recently to help a start-up install and begin
using SuSE's OpenExchange server.  The product seems to perform well and
indeed has a slick GUI that even MS-Windows sysadmin types can wield
with practically no effort.  The groupware features are very capable in
my opinion.  Unfortunately, the support has been astonishingly poor.
The product was purchased for about $1000 and with that, email support
with a guaranteed response time is included.  Out of 5 support requests
only one response was even close to hitting the guarantee.  In 2 cases
is took more than 24 hours to get a semi-intelligent response. The fact
that the responses are only "semi-intelligent" is the main point of
contention.  The quality of the information in these responses has been
outrageously bad.

This is just one person's (or one small business') experience, but based
on the experience so far I'd have to say: Take a good look at the other
options before considering SuSE for $1000.  If you're going to have to
support the thing yourself you may as well save the cash up front.

Ryan