[TriLUG] DSL opinions

Neil Little nllittle at vnet.net
Fri Jul 11 11:57:22 EDT 2003

 >What's actually involved in "installing" DSL on the phone company's end?
 >
 >Verizon originally told me it would take five to seven days to
"perform >the installation".  Now they've called me back to say that it
will take >a full month.  They tested the loop and sent me the modem on
day one.
 >trilug-request at trilug.org wrote:
 >

 >I don't understand what needs to be done that takes so long.
 >Unfortunately there are no other DSL providers avaliable.  I guess I
 >could go with cable...

Geoff,

Having endured over 10 years in telecom I can tell you that you are
dealing with an entrenched unionized bureaucarcy. Nothing happens fast
in a Telco. Here is probally what happened when you placed your order:
1. An order is recieved and is vetted from sales
2. It then goes to a provisioner
3. The provisioner sends it to an engineer.
4. The engineer makes sure that there are facilities available
5. A work order is genenerated for the local facilites (ie the Central
office)
6. The work order is sent to the Central Office dispatcher.
7. Another work order is created and a tech is assigned in the CO to
make all the local connections (make cross connects, build dacs connect
ect.)
8. Yet another work order is generated and a field tech is assigned and
makes all the connections in the field (make connections out at the
"cross box" bring the loop to the curb and install it...).
9. The two work orders are sent back to the dispatcher.
10. The dispatcher then sends a work order to the test department.
11. The test department dispatches/assigns a tech at the CO and a field
tech to test the loop.
12. The loop is tested and the work order is sent back to the engineer.
13. The engineer then vetts the workorder marks it as complete and
returns it to the Provisioner.
14. The Provisioner Sends the work order out to another department for
the IT side.
15. The IT side of the fence then does their black magic and sends the
work order back to the Provisoner as completed.
16. The Provisioner marks the work order complete and sends it back up
the line for the billing folks to take care of.
18. Access is turned on and you can begin tic-tacking at the keyboard.

This procedure could involve more or fewer steps. It could be that there
was a tech who was out that day. The provisioner could be out or anyone
else along the line. This happens. I remember when the 911 incident
happened and it took "months" before some folks got their service back.

Telco is like the government. Nothing happens fast except the speed at
which they can cut you off!

   Neil Little
   Fuquay-Varina, NC