[TriLUG] No BootUp; Need help.

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 20:56:34 EDT 2003

I came home from the installfest after getting a modem dial-up connection up
and running, (BY THE WAY, THAT WAS A GOOD TIME. CAN'T SAY THANKS ENOUGH TO
THOSE WHO ORGANIZED AND SET IT UP AND HELPED.), but now that I have re-hooked-up
my computer and click the Power button on the box, it doesn't seem to be going
through the booting up process and nothing appears on the monitor.

 (I have the monitor/keybrd/ms cables hooked to a KVM switch, and the
'switch' using the keyboard keys will not switch back from that machine after I have
'switched' it to that machine from another machine. I have to switch it back
to the working machine, manually, using a button on the KVM box, instead of
using the hot keys on the keyboard.
 Apparently the computer never went through the boot process, even as the
monitor was blank.)

 But besides the KVM thing I would like to find out what is going on with the
power and bootup.
 The power button will shut off the computer. And the 'reboot' button doesn't
seem to make it reboot.
 Of course, I am just listening to the machine since I can't see anything.
 It gets power and a green light comes on, but it just seems like it is with
power and not going through the bootup process.

 Before I left the Installfest, I used this command to halt the "checking for
new hardware" process during bootup:
 " chkconfig kudzu off "
 Would that be affecting things; making it behave like it is?
 I am getting nothing but a black screen after having all of the cables
hooked up and hitting the power button "on".

 To make matters even more perplexing: as I was driving home, I took a sudden
stop on I-40 (because there was a construction barrel in the highway lane),
and my computer slid off my front seat onto the floorboard---but it wasn't a
terribly hard jolt.
 But if this is not a commom problem, maybe something inside was broken
during that spill.
 Any help?
Thanks in advance.
Jim Urena