[TriLUG] RH 9 install problems

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Jul 13 15:25:46 EDT 2003

Hi All-

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I tried to install RH 9 on
my PC, but it locks up during the boot off the CD at the prompt
"Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision 3.12". I'm almost positive I've had it
installed before (more than 1 year ago), but took it off because I
didn't need it at the time).

Some general info:
- mobo = MSI MS-6380 (even updated the BIOS)
- 2 IDE disk drives (ide0 primary and slave), 1 RAID striped drive
(even disabled the RAID drive)
- 1 DVD-ROM, 1 CDRW (made sure jumpers are set correctly; ide1 primary
and slave)
- tried using any combination of possible startup switches (linux
ide=nodma ...
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/
ch-bootopts.html; i know that is for 8, but i think most are conserved?)
- tried enabling/disabling APM in BIOS
- tried using bootdisk install method
- after freeze i can hear cd-rom spin down a few seconds/min later

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug