[TriLUG] (Slightly OT)New Bill in Congress would make file-swapping a felony

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Jul 17 12:07:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:29, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> If the record companies really want to stop piracy, they
> should work on offering what their customers want.  You can compete
> against free, just look at the bottled water industry.

They are already offering what their customers want, music.  The
problem is, everyone else is offering it as well (and for free!)
I would imagine its hard to compete against free when your
competitor is selling YOUR merchandise for nothing...

As long as the P2P pirates are acting unreasonably, the music industry
will continue to push for unreasonable laws, especially with the
"Its a free country and I'll steal what I want 'cause its my right"
attitude.

--mwt