[TriLUG] (Slightly OT)New Bill in Congress would make file-swapping a felony

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Jul 17 14:25:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 13:17, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Times change, things change.  Do you think we should have laws that
> protect horse drawn cart makers from Ford and GM?  The record company
> needs to give their customers what they want rather than going to
> congress and crying about things.

Things have changed, in the past consumers would just shop somewhere
else rather than just steal the product they are dissatisfied with.
Horse drawn carts were put aside for a competing product, not theft.  If
everyone is unhappy with the product offered, there are places to get
music where the artists would be perfectly happy to let you download
their music for free (www.freemusic.org).  If you don't like the
alternatives and must have the luxury of music, then you can either be a
thief (and deal with the possible consequences), or buy the product that
you want.  Just because something does not come packaged the way you
want it does not give everyone the right to just take it.

Ok guys, flame me or not, I'm done.  (Your welcome!)  ;)

--mike