[TriLUG] Linux Certifications?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 17 15:47:34 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 15:27, prhodes at vdsinc.com wrote:

Why the extra blank space at the top of your emails? Just curious.  This
is not a winmail.dat-style flame.  ;-)

> > and instead chose the
> > RHCT as an entry-level certification. Sure, the RHCT is more expensive
> > at $349, but it shows you have the real hands-on experience.
>
> I didn't even know there *was* something known as RHCT...  so RHCT
> is Red Hat's "entry level" cert? If so, that is something I
> certainly find interesting.  Looks like it's time to head
> over to redhat.com and do some digging...

Yeah, RHCT is Red Hat Certified Technician.  It's aimed at sysadmining a
workstation, understanding of command line operation, doing basic
installation and troubleshooting, etc.  I'm sure the web site tells it
better:
	http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/rh202.html

> > I'm not sure that the Linux+ has a lot of credibility, but I'm not
> > really involved in hiring or anything where I'd know for sure.  The RHCT
> > hasn't been around that long but hopefully gains some credibility as a
> > lesser version of the RHCE.
>
> That makes sense... In the networking world, CCIE is clearly the "big dog"
> of certifications... but Cisco's own CCNA and CCDA are still recognized
> as valuable / legitimate / whatever.

Right, I think that's the model Red Hat is following with the RHCE.

> What's the RHCE group doing now? I was thinking you guys had basically
> finished
> this "round" of studies...  Or is the group perpetual, studying
> continuously
> and people just test when they feel ready?

Well, we finished a round of meetings following the RHCE 'syllabus'.
But the list is always open for asking related questions.  And there's
talk of starting another round in august or september, once summer
vacation season gets over.  We will need someone to take on the lead of
this, however, as well as a place to have regular meetings.

> Either way, maybe it would be worth seeing if a group of people want to
> work together on preparing for RHCT?  Some of you guys and gals who are
> (soon to be) new RHCE's could probably help a lot with getting us n00b's
> prepared.. :-)  If you all were so inclined, of course....

One thing about the RHCE/RHCT combo is that the RHCE test is a superset
of the RHCT and is scored that way.  So if you don't pass the RHCE
completely, but do pass the RHCT components, you can walk out with the
RHCT cert.

I think there's at least one person from our RHCE study session this
past spring who's planning on taking the RHCT... the skill sets are
certainly similar.  If you want to get a specific RHCT study group
going, you're certainly welcome to use the RHCE mailing list for
planning that.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |