[TriLUG] biglumber.com, locations, and key signing....

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Mon Jul 21 11:17:45 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 11:05  AM, David A. Cafaro wrote:

> Question about this biglumber thing.  I've got a PGP key, and would
> love
> to get is setup over there, but I have a slight dilemma, I'm not
> currently living in NC!  Is it possible to put down two locations of
> importance or just one?

It is appropriate only to list yourself in the city that you reside in.
  However, it is also appropriate (and encouraged) to put a time-limited
listing up when you are going to travel to other cities.  The duration
of the "event" should be no longer than your actual presence in the
city you're traveling to.

> Also anyway I could send someone my key to get
> signed into the keyring, with out physically being there (currently up
> in Maryland)?  Thanks.

That wouldn't be appropriate.  Keysigning protocol typically requires a
face-to-face meeting complete with legal identification to prove you
are who you say you are.

That said, I've tried (unsuccessfully) to contact the Baltimore LUG to
set up a keysigning and drive down there from where I live
(Philadelphia) but I haven't heard any response.  :-(  If it's only
going to be like 5 people I don't particularly want to drive down for
that but for keysignings with ~20+ people attending I'm game for a road
trip.  I'm connected directly to the strong set in TriLUG as well as
PLUG (Philadelphia LUG) so that would be the next best thing to getting
to a TriLUG keysigning I suppose.  I'm hoping to make it back down to
Raleigh in the coming months and will try to arrange my visit in such a
timeframe that I can get to a keysigning there and can firm up my
placement in the WoT there acting as a sort of Johnny Cryptoseed
between the LUGs.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish