[TriLUG] Help! Wireless problems

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Tue Jul 22 00:08:05 EDT 2003

At Kevin's suggestion, I tried the drivers here:
http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/
These new drivers looked promising, but I can't even bring the interface
up with them. I get all kinds of errors in my logs, some of which I have
found on the wlan users mailing lists (in particular in reference to the
miniPCI Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless card in this laptop). Thread here:
http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-user/2003-February/009523.html

The gist from the lists is that this may really be a card that works
with the orinoco_cs driver but not the wlan-ng stuff. Anyone with
experience that would help me figure out what to do?

I've tried setting the ESSID, but the hardware fails to connect when I
set that option through the orinoco_cs driver with iwconfig. Basically,
the AP MAC (that it tries to find) gets set to 44:44:44:44:44:44 and so
it doesn't ever connect. Presumably, if this hardware does work with the
wlan-ng drivers, then perhaps this can be set successfully, but the
drivers aren't even bringing the device up.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :^| I've told my neighbor I'm on his
network and unless I can find an alternative I may have to ask to work
with him to have his network use a different channel or something. I
hate to be a pain to a neighbor over something like this, though.

Thanks in advance.

matt