[TriLUG] Help! Wireless problems

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Jul 22 07:48:45 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 00:08, Matt Matthews wrote:
> Thanks to anyone who can help. :^| I've told my neighbor I'm on his
> network and unless I can find an alternative I may have to ask to work
> with him to have his network use a different channel or something. I
> hate to be a pain to a neighbor over something like this, though.

I would also work with/convince him to use WEP on his WAP.  ;)  I'm not
sure, but that *may* work.  Its possible that if you are both using
encryption then only your WAP will accept your connections and
vice-versa.  Not sure if you'll have connection problems due to
interference though...  If your neighbor is using Windoze then its
probably easier to configure him on a different channel than to change
yours (obviously!)

Regardless, its always a good idea to use the encryption feature anyway,
if your neighbor does not agree, then maybe you can save a few bucks a
month on broadband access...  just kidding of course!

Just a thought!

--mike