[TriLUG] Help! Wireless problems

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Thu Jul 24 00:02:18 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:13, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> You still need to set the ESSID.  I think you're misunderstanding how
> this works.  You set the ESSID on the access point to identify your
> network -- give it a unique name.  Then, you set the ESSID on your
> system to match that unique name.  In redhat-config-network, for
> example, this is under the "Wireless Settings" tab -- change the SSID
> setting from "Auto" to "Specified" and put in your name there.

This is what I've done. When reset to factory defaults, for example, the
firewall has "default" (without quotes) as the ESSID. I specify that
(without quotes) in redhat-config-network for the wireless adaptor. It
never connects. I'm beginning to suspect the WAP has died. I will know
more tomorrow. Thanks.

> Are you sure those are allowed channels in the US?  I thought the lowest
> you were supposed to use was 4.  I could be wrong...not sure where to
> look that up.

At work (Duke) the sysadmin said they were using a sequence of WAPs
throughout the building set to channels 1, 6, 11, 1, 6, 11, etc. to
avoid interference. This is just what I've been told, but I've never
been steered wrong by my admin.

Regards,
matt