[TriLUG] Help! Wireless problems

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Jul 24 00:17:45 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:02:18AM -0400, Matt Matthews wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:13, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > You still need to set the ESSID.  I think you're misunderstanding how
> > this works.  You set the ESSID on the access point to identify your
> > network -- give it a unique name.  Then, you set the ESSID on your
> > system to match that unique name.  In redhat-config-network, for
> > example, this is under the "Wireless Settings" tab -- change the SSID
> > setting from "Auto" to "Specified" and put in your name there.
>
> This is what I've done. When reset to factory defaults, for example, the
> firewall has "default" (without quotes) as the ESSID. I specify that
> (without quotes) in redhat-config-network for the wireless adaptor. It
> never connects. I'm beginning to suspect the WAP has died. I will know
> more tomorrow. Thanks.

If your neighbor also has used the "default" ssid, then keeping this
value not alleviate any confusion experienced by your client.  I would
_HIGHLY_ recommend changing the SSID on your access point to something
(anything) other than the default if only for reason of security through
obscurity.  This may also help your wireless client distiguish between
the wireless networks (it should).  If two coexisting wireless AP's have
the same SSID (even if they have different WEP keys) then the client
assumes that they both represent the same network and it's free to use
whichever has the best signal at the time.  Thus, your client may bounce
back and forth or simply glob onto your neighbors if it thinks the
signal's better when in fact the two networks are entirely different.

Good luck,
David