[TriLUG] Re: Help! Wireless problems

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 24 08:55:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 01:52, James Manning wrote:
> > I would _HIGHLY_ recommend changing the SSID on your access point to
> > something (anything) other than the default if only for reason of
> > security through obscurity.
>
> not that it really much matters for this usage, but I haven't noticed
> SSID's as hidden from WAP's - when I wander through by a building I
> can pick up 3 or 4 company names as SSID's on their WAP's, even if
> they're doing WEP and I won't be able to talk on the WAP.

It depends... on the AP there is a configuration flag that specifies
whether you can 'broadcast' the SSID or not.  That is enabled by
default, so it's usually left on.

However, it is trivial to sniff the SSID even if it's not being
"broadcast" by watching any traffic that flows on the wireless network.
However, if there's no traffic it can't be determined -- but that's a
VERY small security benefit.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |