[TriLUG] USB Palm under linux

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Jul 24 09:04:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:17:21PM -0400, Joshua Bedick wrote:
> Quick Question about setting up a palm device under linux.  First off
> after a lot of time and RTFM I've got it working.  My question is more
> procedural.  Pilot-Link and GPilot work fine under RH 9 as root.  To get
> it to work as a user I changed the permissions on a file:
>
> chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Is this a bad idea?  If it is what do I do instead?

This isn't _that_ bad of an idea depending on who has access to your
system.  Also, considering that your pda only talks over this port while
it's actively hotsyncing the opportunity for anyone else to write/read
from this port is narrow.  However, to improve this security you can
create a group in your /etc/group file called "pda" with you as a member
and "chgrp pda /dev/ttyUSB1".  Then, you can use "chmod 660
/dev/ttyUSB1" and only people in the pda group can access that port.
Note: if you add yourself to the pda group you'll have to log out/in for
it to take effect; you can find out what groups you belong to by typing
"groups".

-David