[TriLUG] Mail class followup question (sendmail->postfix)

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Mon Jul 28 01:44:27 EDT 2003

Hi guys,

I was one of the people that was late to the class this past Saturday
(got a speeding ticket on I540 and feel like smuck).  I showed up to see
if one of my backburner projects could benefit from the info session.

Here's my current situation:

* dedicated server at any ISP running sendmail (holy crap batman, I'm
sick of patching it!) with TLS+SMTP auth, UW IMAP with SSL, mbox format
mailboxes (yuck)
* server is running a highly modified version of RH 6.2 with lots of
updates/non-RPM patching/etc

What I'd like:

* another SMTP server (Postfix?) with the following support:
	** SMTP auth
	** SSL/TLS
	** Maildir support
	** some form of quota support (Maildir will likely handle this)
* faster/more robust IMAP server with SSL support (Courier or Cyrus
probably)

I've got existing HUGE mailboxes that I'd like to migrate to Maildir
format once this is all up and running.  Of course, I'd like minimal
downtime (it's a site for my fraternity that relies on email working for
a web store).

Any suggestions, hints, tips or cookbooks?  There's really not much to
do, but I'd like to make sure that I'm not reinventing the wheel with
any steps.

Thanks.

--Reggie