[TriLUG] help with procmail/postfix

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jul 29 09:42:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 08:59, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 00:33, Tom Woods wrote:
> > Thanks for the global procmail suggestion, however I've actually tried
> > that as well.
> >
> > I've posted the files at:
> >
> > http://www.familyfunnies.com/main.cf
> > http://www.familyfunnies.com/.procmailrc
>
> Do you have the $DELIVERTO macro defined?
> That's a special variable that is setup on the TriLUG servers.  In that
> case, it expands to a program called "dmail" (or actually, a patched
> version called "dmail-trilug") that delivers to the IMAP folders.
>
> If you don't have the specialized MBX setup that we're using on TriLUG,
> just leave off the $DELIVERTO part and put the name of the folder.
> Procmail will just deliver locally to the folder in mbox format.

To clarify, you'd leave off both the pipe character and the $DELIVERTO.
A more standard procmail recipe looks like this:

:0
* ^Subject: Test Folder
NewTest

In actuality, you will want to enable locking, so that multiple programs
(or multiple instances of procmail) won't try to write to the "NewTest"
foler at once.  This is done by adding a colon after the zero, so the
recipe will look like:

:0:
NewTest

Enabling locking is pretty necessary when you're using the standard
'mbox' format.  For other formats like Maildir or MBX, it's not
necessary, at least from what I've heard.  (Locking doesn't make sense
in the TriLUG setup because we're actually piping the mail through a
program -- the $DELIVERTO program which is "dmail" -- instead of having
procmail deliver the mail itself.)

Hope this helps,
Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |