[TriLUG] RR Mail Infrsastructure (was RE: e-mail server class)

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Jul 29 11:46:04 EDT 2003

I've had my SmartHost set to RR for over a year and only rarely have
problems getting mail delivered in a timely fashion.  It's the inbound
email that was so nasty I got off it completely.

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 11:06, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> Some might argue that there is a speed/latency issue here, but the fact is
> that RR's outbound servers are working just fine these days.  Better than
> ever, in fact, and we are going to be doing some rebuilds and tuning in the
> coming weeks to improve them even further, and implement outbound spam
> filtering, so that if a customer's PC does get infected by a virus, it will
> stand a much smaller chance of getting spread to anyone else.

This statement leads me to believe you work for RR and/or have some
contact with their mail infrastructure.

If so, can you share any information on why they are using Microsoft
products for their mail infrastructure instead of a UNIX or Linux
solution?  It seems to me it would be a LOT smarter to use a UNIX/Linux
solution.

Thanks,
  --[Lance]

--