[TriLUG] RE: Re: RR Mail Infrastructure

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Jul 29 14:32:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 14:10, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> Lance,
>
> Actually, that banner has nothing to do with MS, but rather with our server
> naming structure.  The ms you see there stands for 'mail server'.

You are most correct!  My mistake.  I do recall the time when it
appeared smtp-server.nc.rr.com was an MS SMTP server because it
presented the same SMTP banner as the exchange server running where I
work. :-)

I got RR in March of 2000 and used RR's email service until June of 2002
when I registered my own domain and moved my email service to it.  I had
gotten fed up with slow and/or failed delivery of email to my personal
accounts and did some analysis of Received: headers to see what I could
find out.  After learning that my mail passing through *one* of the MX
servers for nc.rr.com was getting delayed/lost I tried to tell RR but
could not get access to anyone who would listen to me via RR technical
support.  So I gave up and moved.

I'm glad to hear things are getting better.  I'm not going to move back
to RR for email, but I'm glad it's getting better.

--[Lance]

--
Carolina Spirit Quest - www.carolinaspiritquest.org
Celebrate The Circle - www.angelfire.com/nc/celebratethecircle/