[TriLUG] RR Mail Infrsastructure (was RE: e-mail server class)

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Jul 29 16:06:59 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 14:16, Chris Merrill wrote:
> I, for one, commend the job that RR has done recently.  The service has
> improved 500% since 12-18 months ago (longer?) when the outages were
> getting serious.  My service has very few outages, mail or otherwise.
> My web/mail server seems to always be available, or at least whenever
> me or anybody else needs it.  The service is good enough that when somebody
> tells me I can get service for $5-10 less elsewhere...I don't bother.

I agree.  I am also very satisfied with my RR service.  I live in
Farmville, about 13 minutes from Greenville, which has Cox Multimedia as
the cable provider (used to be RR).  I *hope* that this area NEVER gets
Cox, which is the sorriest excuse for a Cable TV/Internet provider that
I have ever seen.  A friend of mine had more service outages (both TV &
Internet) the first month he subscribed than I have had the past 3 years
on satellite (TV) and RR.  (I've had RR for almost 2 years, had  a self
installed DirecPC system before that).

> I hope RR continues (or expands) their tolerance/indifferance for running
> our own servers...because that is a HUGE part of the value I get from RR.

+1  Although, I think this will only continue if other RR subscribers
DONT abuse their service.

--mike