[TriLUG] Hardware problems: Bad IDE Drive? Motherboard?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Jul 30 03:31:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:03:48AM -0400, Joshua Gitlin wrote:
> server was down, I couldn't SSH in. So I hooked up a monitor to the
> machine and tried to execute a few commands... all of which produced
> the output "i/o error". And I mean things like 'ls' produced output
> like that. So I checked my syslog... only to find it filled up with
> messages like this:
>
> EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)) ext2_write_inode: unable to read inode
> block inode=3015009 block=6029322
>
> I then noticed that the light on the case indicating whether or not the
> hard drives were being accessed was on steady! Nothing was working so I
> was forced to hard-reboot. Upon doing that, my system refused to boot
> -- it told me that there were no IDE devices found! So, there's

The first things to check are the most forthright: the connections.
Presuming they're snug and secure, you wouldn't happen to have these
errors on an IBM HD, would you? If so, it sounds like you may have a
corrupt block of some sort (ext2 is very reliable), and you'll need to
run an IBM diagnostics utility on the drive. If worst comes to worst,
you will need to wipe the disk using said utilities and reinstall.

Well, no, that's not true. If it's the absolute worst, you'll need to
RMA the HD.

-Dan

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc