[TriLUG] RPM and SRPM package updates for Aurora 1.0 and Red Hat 9

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 31 10:20:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 10:11, Ken Wahl wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:19:48AM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> >
> > Actually, though, GnuPG 1.2.2 is already included in the Severn beta for
> > Red Hat Linux 10 -- see
> > http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/redhat/linux/beta/severn/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gnupg-1.2.2-3.i386.rpm
> >

> Related question: is there anything that you are aware of that would
> make the current Rawhide binaries incompatible with RedHat 9?

Well, Severn, which is what I referred to above, is mostly compiled with
gcc 3.3, and Red Hat Linux 9 is compiled with gcc 3.2.  I don't know
enough about compiler stuff to know if that will cause problems in
Mozilla or not, but it certainly could.  For something small like GnuPG
I would most certainly rebuild from SRPM to avoid any possible problems
from this.

> I usually don't install Rawhide packages and for the first time I did a
> couple of days ago to upgrade Mozilla.  It crashed constantly and after
> 48hrs I had to switch back to the Mozilla 1.4 RPMS from mozilla.org

Did you try rebuilding from source RPM?  That's not necessarily going to
be quick for Mozilla though.  I have been using the binary packages,
however (from a few weeks back, mozilla-1.4-11) and it works fine for
me.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |