[TriLUG] Announcement: New NCSU Linux Users Group Forming

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Jul 31 11:42:50 EDT 2003

so far i've switched two of my clients from windows to linux, and both have
handled the switch with very few problems.  and neither of them are
computer-savvy whatsoever.  once you get past the application terminology (MS
office-->Open Office, outlook-->evolution, IE-->mozilla) it's smooth sailing.
some of the great benefits that i've experienced are:

1. since they all run as regular users (not root) they can't do any real
damage to the overall system.  no one can mistakenly delete critical files,
kids can't install useless crap, etc.  compared to windows, this is a MAJOR
advantage for non-power users.

2. remote maintenance is a breeze.  on the few occations where they have had
problems i simply ssh in and fix it in about three minutes.  as a consultant
this is worth it's weight in gold.

3. we don't have to constantly worry about viruses, popups, spyware.  there's
no system "drift" or cruft - it simply stays the same unless i decide to
change it.  unlike my clients who run windows, i'm not chasing a constantly
moving target.

good luck with the new group fellas!

jason