[TriLUG] Re: Announcement: New NCSU Linux Users Group Forming

Thomas L Roche tlroche at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 31 13:17:35 EDT 2003

Ilan Volow Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:34:01 -0400
> I am forming a new Linux users group at NC State called NOSUL (North
> Carolina Organization Of Students Using Linux)

NCOSUL? Try "NCSU Organization Of Students Using Linux." Or even
better: "NCSU Association Of Students Using Linux" (NASUL :-)

> whose aim is to cultivate a true, end-user oriented desktop Linux
> experience for NC State students and faculty.

> First Rule Of NOSUL: NOSUL is not a unix group

> Second Rule Of NOSUL: NOSUL is not a unix group.

You forgot one, which you could steal from

http://www.thegeek.nu/LinuxFun.htm
> Linux Fun-da-mentals is not a LUG (Linux User Group).

Ilan Volow Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:34:01 -0400
> Third Rule: No terminals or command lines at meetings. We do things
> graphically and desktopically.

> Fourth Rule: vi, emacs, and shell scripts do not exist.

Why pick on emacs? Newer versions have a good GUI, and many useful
applications (e.g. mail/news reading).

> Fifth Rule: it is okay to be a beginner. RTFM (Read The Fine Manual) is
> to be considered a four-letter word.

OK, but ...

> There are no stupid end users (just stupid programmers).

... you just entered a reality-distortion field :-) Anyone who's ever
done support can tell you that there are _plenty_ of stupid end users.

> Sixth Rule: it is okay to run operating systems other than Linux at
> meetings, both in the capacity of audience member and presenter.

Jon Carnes 31 Jul 2003 09:28:05 -0400
> How about something like a local Linux Applications Group,

Call it NC-SLAG ("NC State Linux Applications Group" :-)

> where you specialize on the applications that make Linux fun and
> easy to use. Beginners and cross-over users (those windows folks)
> are all welcome.

This sounds good: you could also {help out, accept as members} folks
"in transition" to open/Linux apps, e.g.,

Jason Tower Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:42:50 -0400
> MS office-->Open Office, outlook-->evolution, IE-->mozilla

and "transitionware" like Cygwin, Crossover Office, etc.

Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> 31 Jul 2003 11:19:52 -0400
> brace yourselves for what may become a flood as employers start
> converting office machines and people take work home.

Actually, the flood might start @ NCSU. With the state's budget
tightening as M$ license costs rise, I'm betting more departments
(academic and staff, including support groups like ITD and NCS) are
gonna wanna move to freeware.

the former Tom_Roche at ncsu.edu