[TriLUG] Dell Inspiron 7500 and RH9

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jul 31 13:47:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 13:31, dsandif wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm am in the process of setting up a dual boot laptop using a Dell
> Inspiron 7500 which will have RH9 and XP on it. The XP install went
> fine, however, when I went to do the install for the RH9, the install
> program runs, but then just as it pulls up the "Welcome to RedHat Linux"
> install
> screen, the whole screen goes sorta white-blank except for the far left
> side where I can see a sliver of the RedHat setup screen. Any ideas?

Sounds like an XFree86 driver problem.  You could do a text-only install
and then tweak XFree86 yourself and/or get someone else to help you
configure XFree86 for your graphics hardware.

And as always theres the linux-on-laptops page:

  http://linux-laptop.net/

which lists for example:

  http://www.coralys.com/linux/dell7500.shtml

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com