[TriLUG] Announcement: New NCSU Linux Users Group Forming

Meyer, David R David.Meyer07 at ca.com
Fri Aug 1 08:54:43 EDT 2003

I work for a large software manufacturer in our engineering group.  I am
just finishing up a project to migrate approxmiately 75 desktops from
Windows to Linux.  This is a pilot.  Once it proves its worth, we'll
move all of our engineers world-wide to it.

I have spend (part-time) two months working on this, but should start
the conversion by September 1st.  I'm using Red Hat 8.0 for the desktop
(because our anti-virus product doesn't support 9.0 yet) but and
OpenOffice for the productivity suite.  Evolution for the email with the
connector to talk to our exchange server.  I'm also using an NTLM script
that fakes out our internal sites.

With the exception of three of us, nobody in my group uses Linux on the
desktop, so we're making it as friendly as we can...but they will have
to learn something...that is part of the exercise.

Dave