[TriLUG] RAID newbie question...

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 13:53:26 EDT 2003

The other RAID thread got me thinking...my home server finally has enough
important stuff on it to be worth doing some sort of backups (IOW, I'm not
just playing around, anymore).

However, I have a strong (and possibly irrational) aversion to tape drives.
Would a simple RAID IDE setup keep me backed up?  In other words, can I set
it up to essentially mirror one drive onto the other?

I saw the following on eBay...would it suffice for my needs?
   "3WARE DUAL IDE RAID CONTROLLER MODEL: 7000-2"

TIA,
Chris

p.s.
I realize that this would only protect me from hardware failure - not
accidentally deleting a file that I really need.  Hardware failure is my
primary concern, since it is running on old hardware (350MHz, 6G drive).

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com