[TriLUG] RAID newbie question...

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Aug 4 14:18:07 EDT 2003

the problem with relying on dual hard drives to back up your data is
that no matter how you set it up (HW raid, SW raid, backup partition,
etc) is that both disks are still in the same box, and if any other
component on that box should fail (power supply, bad ram, blown
capacitor, whatever) you're screwed.  and a major problem like a
lightning strike could easily wipe out both disks at the same time,
leaving you with nothing.

my advice is to use a seperate machine to do backups.  stick a 120gb
disk and a 10/100 nic in an old pentium box and use rsync or nfs to
backup your primary machine(s).  since old hardware is very cheap the
cost difference is minimal, you can backup multiple machines more
easily, and your data is safer and accesible even if disaster should
strike.

jason