[TriLUG] RAID newbie question...

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 14:30:00 EDT 2003

rasch at raschnet.com wrote:
> If you're mainly interested in backups and not just quick hardware
> recovery (i.e. continued uptime on HD failure), then you should consider
> rdiff-backup.  Rdiff-backup cretaes a hard disk based backup including
> support for deleted, created files.  It saves a most recent snapshot and
> backward delta-files to recreate the filesystem at the time of any
> previous backup.  I run this on my servers nightly, even across the
> internet.  It uses librsync so that diffs are calculated efficiently
> using minimal bandwidth.  A backup of the changes to my 10 gig /home
> partition takes on average of 10 minutes nightly over my DSL connection
> to another machine I admin in Missouri.
>
> http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/

Thanks...that sounds like it would work...and not require a new IDE card
(or HDD, if I backup to another machine).

What is librsync?  I could find no mention of it on my RH9 box...from
either rpm or 'locate'...

The rdiff-backup website provides a RH8 binary rpm...would that be likely
to run on a RH9 system without recompiling from the source?

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com