[TriLUG] IDE RAID vs. md

Tom Boucher trekkie at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 4 19:24:46 EDT 2003

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Joseph Tate wrote:

> The only IDE raid cards that are worth purchasing are the 3ware cards.
>  All other cards do essentially software RAID, but use a proprietary
> driver.

Adaptec does BIOS level RAID with I2O drivers that haven't been updated
since RH 6.2 yet work ok with Linux if you find the super secret page
on RH's site to load the drivers outside of RH 6.2.

It works.  It has cache.  it was less expensive than 3Ware.

I've got four 120GB drives running off of a RH 9.0 server that is my
digital pictures / mp3 / iMovie files.

So yeah, it works.   the 1200A is pretty cheap.

Not sure what the two channel versions of the 3Ware go for though.

if I had to do it again, I'd have bought a 4 channel 3Ware card.