[TriLUG] argument list too long

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 21:54:44 EDT 2003

Hi Mike,

There are a number of ways to handle this, depending on what you're
trying to do.

As mentioned, xargs is the primary solution.

You can also use echo to list the files:

    echo *

And find:

    find . -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -l {} \;

You can replace "ls -l" in this command line with commands that do other
things.

You can also use regular expressions to chunk up the arguments:

     ls -l [A-Z]*
     ls -l [a-z]*

Enjoy...

Scott C.