[TriLUG] nohup (unattended jobs/processes)

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Aug 5 08:00:45 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 07:48  AM, John Beimler wrote:

> I know this isn't what you asked, but for all those processes I try to
> make sure I start them in a screen
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html) session. It lets you
> detach from where you are at and reattach at a later time. You can
> also attach from another terminal without detaching from your main
> terminal to see what's going on. It can be a real life saver for the
> drop outs, as well as a long install. This way I can detach, go home,
> and re attach and still have a long running process going, and not
> have to sit at my desk until its done.

+1

I'll start something in screen from my laptop, close the lid, go to my
desktop an hour later, run "screen -R -D" and get the session back,
still running.  It's really nice if you want to start something at the
office, go home, and check up on progress from home later in the night.
  Or start something at home and check it when you get to the office.
Whatever the case, I'm very glad some of the TriLUG folks introduced me
to screen.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish