[TriLUG] Setting up a tape backup system

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Aug 5 14:54:31 EDT 2003

One of my co-workers is setting up a tape backup system. He is using an
older DEC TZ877 (DLT holding 7 tapes).  So far dmesg shows that the scsi
controller sees the hardware and /dev/st0 would appear to be the device
to use.

I have little experience with this sort of thing so I don't know how to
respond to David's questions which are basically:

How should the tape device be mounted - do you mount a single tape?
How can individual tapes be mounted depending on the day of week?
Is there a slick way to do this (David likes GUI so GUI=slick)?

Any advice or suggested references are appreciated.  Be gentle please,
David is slowly breaking free of the shackles of MS bondage... and soon
enough he'll be a trilug member too.

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
Global Knowledge