[TriLUG] Re: Copyright protection

Gnu Man gnu_man at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 6 02:06:05 EDT 2003

Your scenario sounds logical, and I appreciate the effort.

I apologize to the list for using any "FUD-like" comments, for that was
not my intention.

It seemed like little attention was being paid to the actual arguments,
and that people were not looking at the root of the potential problem.

I also agree that the closed source model could be riddled with stolen
code, and no one outside the company would ever know.  The Open Source
model is valid and will thrive and survive.

I was hoping to find some documentation that would not hold the users or
developers responsible for code that they did not know was obtained
illegally.

Unfortunately, I don't believe such a document exists, and as such these
disputes must be settled in a court of law :(