Copyright protection (was Re: [TriLUG] SCO Conference Call)

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Aug 6 08:51:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 01:17 am, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Ok, let's say that happens.  Then when the original author of
> the code (let's not call it IP, since that's a confusing term, see
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#IntellectualProperty
> for more information why I'm suggesting this) contacts the Open Source
> author one of two things can happen.

Sadly, there's a 3rd option:

3) A technically clueless judge believes SCO's sweet talk in legalesse and
    rules in favour of SCO.

This can happen. Do you know of any court imprevious to mistakes, ignorance or
just plain incompetence?

I remember a case about someone named O.J...... and yet another about a
corporation called Micro Something...

Unfortunately, being right is not enough. We are all very sure that SCO
doesn't have a case beacuse they are wrong. But people have sued (and won)
over silly, senseless stuff. And being a judge doesn't mean that you
understand all the technical aspects.

I guess this is the trumph that SCO want to play: SCO just needs to convice
the judge. SCO does not need to be right.

Salut,
Sinner
--
Visit my website! http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux User # 89976