[TriLUG] forward zones

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 11:03:47 EDT 2003

You might want to consider tinydns (http://tinydns.org) instead of bind.
The configuration is much simpler and it is also known for it's
security. I use it at home and really like it. You only add one line for
a host and tell it whether to provide a PTR and an A record or just one
of them. On the downside, it uses some very non-standard file locations.

Ken

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 15:40, Scott Lundgren wrote:
> I added a third box to my home network and decided to setup a name server
> for them all. Can someone explain to me if the following is a difference in
> how I was expecting a config tool to work or a gap in my understanding of
> DNS
>
> Using RH9, redhat-config-bind I first created a reverse zone
> "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
> Then I added records for:
> 	192.168.1.1		athos
> 	192.168.1.2		porthos
> 	192.168.1.3		dartagnan
>
> My thinking was that I would then do the same but backwards to create the
> forward zone. However I found that if I tried to add records to the only
> forward zone, localhost (athos's localhost is acting as the nameserver), the
> only records I could were to <blank>.localhost (which I thought would have
> been subdomains to localhost). Instead I added 3 new Forward Master Zone
> records, one for each box. Everything works, each box can ping & nmap each
> other box by IP & hostname since all 3 use athos for a gateway & nameserver.
> So are forward zones created per machine than per network segement like
> reverse zones ? Or is something seemingly working but probably isn't?
>
> - SL
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt