[TriLUG] Re: Pseudonyms

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 6 15:45:03 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 14:56, Gnu Man wrote:
> For those who are insecure with other's identity on the Internet, maybe
> you should rethink the forums in which you choose to participate.
>
> Attacking someone because they don't feel inclined to broadcast in each
> email a paragraph containing name, address, phone numbers, fax numbers,
> credentials, etc... is pretty lame.
>
> If it is that important to you, put it to a vote to have it added it to
> the charter that nobody would be allowed to use aliases on the list.
>
> Remember, by doing so you run the risk of alienating anyone who wishes
> to participate, but doesn't feel a pressing need to check in with the
> "identity Gestapo" first.
>
> Remember that there are probably as many reasons for those to use
> aliases as there are people who use them.
>
> One such example could be a developer who works for a software company
> that produces proprietary products.  Say this company views open source
> software as a direct threat, and would not take a kind view to their
> employee's participating and contributing in such a forum.

Attacking?  Insecure?  "identity Gestapo"?

Woah...  Take a deep breath, OK?

And while you're at it, go back and read my emails again.  I think I'm
guilty of none of the above.

But just to be clear, I think its fine that you (or anyone) posts
anonymously to this list.  Go ahead.  Post more.  I never said that you
can't or shouldn't post anonymously.

Rather, I *was* trying to point out that all information has a source
and the degree to which we trust that information will, to some extent,
be related to the source.  So by choosing to post anonymously, you are
in some sense placing a "weight" on your contribution.

And its inevitable.  We are deluged with information every day.  Without
context how would anyone decide how to respond?  What separates your
post from the numerous "Nigerian" spams that I receive each week?

Think about it.

Ed

ps - You mentioned "Gestapo" so by the Usenet conventions this
     discussion is now over, right?  ;-)

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com