[TriLUG] RH 9 network install problems

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 22:21:48 EDT 2003

Try using the server at ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu
Also, you might try using an HTTP install

Here is what I think is happening... The FTP servers that you are using
are fairly busy and have a limited number of anonymous users that can
attach.
 - The RH9 ftp install logs and in down loads one file,
 - drops the connection,
 - acts on the downloaded file, sees it needs another file,
 - opens up an ftp connection to the server you specified,
 - downloads the new file,
 - drops the connection
 - on and on and on, file by file...

On a busy server, it eventually reaches a time when the server is maxed
out and you cannot re-login, and there is NO RECOVERY!  At that point
you are simply hosed. :-(

I once worked all night playing with this on a RH9 install.  Finally, I
just downloaded the ISO's and mounted them locally on another machine
and then did an NFS install.  Now that worked like a charm and was mucho
fast!

Good Luck - Jon Carnes