[TriLUG] network problems ... solved?

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 8 10:08:01 EDT 2003

the problem might be solved as of today, for those that care (and want
to see the emails stop).

i remembered back to earlier in the week when i tried to do an FTP
install of RH 9 to this machine. i could not get it to finish, so i
downloaded the ISOs, and used an NFS install behind a firewall ....
POOF ...

i am having network problems with the campus -- no network problems
behind the firewall. so the problems are not with my machine. long
story short, i think the (old) network admin assigned my IP address to
another computer (which i've had for 1 year but haven't really used
much; explains why he may have re-used it, but it is still registered
to my computer/hostname). explains why i can ping after two-three
minutes but nothing else. also, when i'm behind the firewall, i can
still ping the 'ip' address, but not the hostname of my computer.

anywho, i'm in the process of getting a new IP. and here i thought it
was because i was using an old packard bell.

long live packard bell.

doug