[TriLUG] Which file system to use

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Mon Aug 11 23:36:26 EDT 2003

 Lisa,

Thanks for the reply!.

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 19:51, Lisa Lorenzin wrote:
> i'm dealing with data space on my work laptop in exactly the way you're
> considering - i have a 10Gb ntfs partition for win2k, a 10Gb ext3
> partition for RH9, and a 20Gb fat32/vfat data partition that's readable by
> both OSes.  short of vmware, it's the most effective solution i've found.

> i formatted mine fat32 in windows, then just mounted it as vfat in linux;
> i don't know if that's necessary, i just know windows tends to be pickier,
> so it seemed the safest method.

I did this setup as well, actually almost an exact setup as you have
detailed with regards to partiotions, etc. I did get my data partition
mounted under Linux, however only as the root user. Now I have to figure
out how to get it to mount under my regular user account instead of as
root. I think I remember something about setting it up in /etc/fstab and
user a creds file or something like that, so I guess I'll Google a bit
and see if I can figure it out.

Tonight I got sidetracked setting up wine so I could try and get
Dreamweaver MX running on Linux. Still banging away on that one... :-)

Thanks again,

Justin