[TriLUG] VPN questions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 12 18:02:18 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 17:28, Steve Kuekes wrote:
> What is the group's opinion of PPTP (http://www.poptop.org) as VPN
> software?  I was thinking of using this to connect Windoze clients into
> a corporate network since the pptp client is built into M$ os's.

I've used it at several clients - since it is built into the older
versions of Windows OS.  It's not nearly as secure as IPSec, but it
works and it's easy to maintain.  Sometimes that is all that you need.

If the clients are all XP or beyond then you can run IPSec natively as
well.

On the other side of the coin, I've been pushing folks to use Linksys
firewalls/routers which come built-in with IPSec capability.  These make
it trivially easy to setup IPSec based vpn's from home to corp or from
corp to corp. The cost of the routers is less than $90.00 and if someone
is going to be opening up a backdoor into your network (the vpn
connection), they had better be running some sort of firewall!

Jon Carnes