[TriLUG] SCO Linux License

P. L. Charles Fischer fischer at zedec.com
Thu Aug 14 09:49:30 EDT 2003

 From news.com:

"SCO Group, the Unix copyright holder that's threatening Linux-using
companies with legal action if they don't pay for a license to run the
open-source operating system, said Monday that one company in the Fortune
500 list of the world's biggest corporations had been convinced by its
arguments. SCO declined to say which company took out the license or to
reveal licensing specifics."

See:
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016-5062396.html>http://news.com.com/2100-1016-5062396.html

So who do you think bought the license?

What company is smart enough to use Linux and still dumb enough to buy the
SCO license?

My answer to the second question is that nobody using Linux has paid SCO.

So my answer to the first question must be Microsoft. I am sure Microsoft
has Linux running in labs, running bench marks and trying to break Samba.
It fits with the Microsoft MO to buy the SCO license. More FUD thrown at Linux.

-Charles Fischer