[TriLUG] Re: Cable Modem and Linux

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Thu Aug 14 13:28:32 EDT 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Lance A. Brown):"

> Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
>
> > I am moving to a new house and where i used to live I had DSL, with
> > the new place I am getting RoadRunner.  I run Yellowdog Linux 3.0 and
> > Red Hat Linux 9, I was wondering if there were any specific drivers I
> > need to load or anything special I need to do with Linux to get it to
> > work properly with Cable.  People can reply through the lists or you
> > can send me a private e-mail.
> >
> Greetings,
>
> I've been running RH Linux with RR for over 2 years now with no special
> requirements.  I've got an ethernet connected cablemodem so all I need
> is a NIC in my computer to talk to the cablemodem.  Don't know what
> you'll need to do if you get a USB-connected cablemodem (do they make
> such beasts?)
>
> --[Lance]

Yeah they do.  The Westell Wirespeed comes with a dual interface, UTP
(unshielded Twisted Pair for ethernet) and USB.  There are also USB only
models on the market.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U