[TriLUG] More hardware woes

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Aug 14 15:05:01 EDT 2003

Is it a transistor or maybe a small power regulator that melted?  Either
way, I'd be weary of the new power supply.  It might be defective.  I
haven't seen this very often, but it does happen once in a while.  ;)
I'm not sure how to test the power supply out of circuit, IIRC those
switching power supplies need a load to operate, so just testing with a
multimeter will not give you accurate readings.  Maybe someone else on
the list knows a way to do this.

I would also check to make sure that there isn't anything that can short
any of the components on the board.

Then again, whatever damaged the first power supply may have also
damaged, shorted or weakened components on your motherboard, causing
additional damage after applying a fresh new power source.

Just a few ideas,

--mike  :)